The Pink Pages™

Everything PINK, FEMALE & FAB!

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Pink Event® Announces Charities for 2012 Expo

Odenton, MD—The Pink Event®, a premiere women-focused expo, today announced the Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the House of Ruth Maryland will serve as the 2012 Expo’s women-based charities, promoting breast cancer and domestic violence awareness at the March 3 event.

"These two organizations are a perfect fit for our event," says The Pink Event Founder Tamika Josephs-Smith, who also serves as Executive of Diamond Event Services, LLC. "They provide much-needed resources and support to women and their families who are suffering and in need of hope."

In its second year, the Pink Event moves to Laurel, MD—taking place at the Holiday Inn at 15101 Sweitzer Lane.

Attendee tickets will be available (starting December 1) for $15 in advance and $20 the day of the event. The two charities will equally receive 65 percent of the event’s ticket sales.

"The Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure was honored when asked by The Pink Event to be a charity partner," says Robin Prothro, Executive Director of Komen Maryland, headquartered in Towson. "Participating in this event allows us to reach additional women to encourage them to get screened and be cognizant of their breast health."

Komen Maryland this year has granted nearly $2.5 million to 29 programs across the state, providing education, screening, treatments and support services to women, men and families with breast cancers. Komen Maryland is part of the world's largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of the affiliate's net proceeds stay in Maryland. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research, often taking place at Maryland institutions. Komen Maryland is the tenth of approximately 120 affiliates in the Komen network to host two Races--Hunt Valley and Ocean City.

The House of Ruth Maryland, a Baltimore based, leading domestic violence organization, also sees the Pink Event as an opportunity for education and outreach. "We hope that through this event, more women will be aware of the services that we provide, what domestic violence really is, and how to get help if they or someone they know needs it," says Executive Director Sandi Timmons.

The House of Ruth Maryland leads the fight to end domestic violence against women and their children by confronting the attitudes, behaviors and systems that perpetuate it. The nonprofit organization provides a continuum of services for victims and their families, including a 24-hour hotline, emergency shelter, legal services, counseling, abuser intervention, children's services and community education.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Join the conversation!